Monday, January 13, 2020

Critiquing & Implementing E-portfolio Concepts

Luke Hull, AT 409, Fall 2019

Looking at this portfolio, I can see that Luke put a lot of time and effort into creating it. The colors that he used are bright and pure, giving it a clean look that is appealing to viewers. He has included all the necessary tabs, and it is easily navigable. One thing that would look better, and I believe, will help with viewing blogs deals with the number of blogs on one page. I know the home page consists of student's blogs but, and never-ending scroll may be exhausting to viewers. Having tabs on the side of the homepage that includes months you posted will make it easier to view items from the past.


Evan Brueggemann, AT 409, Fall 2019

This design is also appealing, but it is missing a couple of critical components. One thing that should be included in this portfolio is contact information. If relevant material is posted that can help with future applications; people may need a way of communication and gain contact information. I can definitely see how UAS has changed over the years and how it keeps continually growing. Prospective employees such as us college students need to make sure that we can show companies what we actually can do. It is not only about giving our credentials. Showing previous work performed and explaining outcomes will steer an eye to many employers. But, without having no possible way to get in contact with the owner of this portfolio, it keeps you out of the game.


Ryan Ferguson, AT 419, Spring 2019

Ryan's portfolio includes everything that I discussed that should be incorporated. Just how I described in my critique of Evan Brueggemann's, Ryan's consists of a "recent search capability," monthly archive, and is even broken down into a number of selected pages. Having these key factors helps keep the portfolio, clean, easily accessible, and less congested. The only thing I can see that may need more detail is the "about me" tab. It is essential to provide a lot of information on your background and how you determined to get into the UAS operational world. The format of this portfolio was well thought out, and it is incredible how easy it is to pull up everything that was created throughout a significant amount of time. Being able to provide evidence on what you are capable of is key in this career field.


Thomas Gonya, AT 419, Spring 2019

Glancing at this e-portfolio, you can see that he has accomplished all the necessary requirements but didn't go above and beyond. The format of his pages is very gaunt, making some of his inserts extend past the available white space he has set. I like how he had the archive tab on the side of his page. This makes it easier to scroll and search for old projects/ posts. One thing that should have been included in the professor's link to the syllabus because it can show potential employers what you have given to perform throughout a semester. Overall, it was a satisfactory job but could use some touching up.   


Evan Hockridge, AT 419, Spring 2019

Looking at Evan's E-portfolio, you can see he added a lot of detail to his. He had added multiple tabs that include flight experience, software experience, and interests. This could be a huge plus when interviewing with possible companies of employment. Evan has a leg up due to being able to show companies what he is proficient in.  His portfolio also shows how he has performed in the past and neat pictures of his adventures. There is plenty of information on the outcomes of his projects/ assignments, which shows his passion for this career path. The only thing I can see that needs possible tweaking is the width of the page to help space out pictures and figures. Again, a well-designed portfolio and a lot of valuable information included.


Summary

Looking over the selected E-portfolios, I gained a lot of information on how to make my own astonishing. Adding a lot of detail is vital while implementing class projects, labs, and assessments onto my portfolio. Companies want to see what has been accomplished and wish to gain knowledge on someone's experience in the industry. I intend to approach my E-portfolio step by step and adding along as I go. Trying to compile everything last minute may be too stressful and won't include enough detail. So, as projects and assignments are taken on, I intend to keep a record of my progress and add as I go.


About Me

My background in the UAS industry is relatively new. I am a Professional Flight Major who is minoring in UAS. I enjoyed working on the projects that were given in past UAS classes and gained a creditable about of information on drone regulations, applications, mapping, and how the industry is continually growing. Flying drones was something I thought was modern, dating back to the beginning of high school. Watching YouTube videos of DJI's filming amazing things really struck my interest. I first took it on as a hobby, and when the opportunity arose, I began my minor in Unmanned Aerial Systems. My passion for flying will always come first, but I plan on pursuing UAS operations as part of my future career. Me becoming an airline pilot in this upcoming year has been one of my greatest achievements here at Purdue. I am not a hundred percent sure what career path I want to take on dealing with UAS at this time but maybe in correlation with Real Estate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment